• My Tax Your Tax Our Destiny
  • Taxnline
  • Making Compliance -asier
  • -Registration | -Returns | -Payment
| | | | | A  A  A  | A-Z | |

You are here >> Home >> Goods Exportation & Importation
Goods Exportation & Importation
The introduction of the Free Trade Area has seen business community rising to the challenge of increased Importation and Exportation of various commodities across national borders. This situation has led to increased demand for information on general exportation of goods. This leaflet sets out to answer some questions about export procedures. It also covers temporary exportation of goods including motor vehicles. However, comprehensive details on exportation can be found under section 48 of Cap 322 of the Laws of Zambia.

What is exportation of goods?
Exportation of goods means to take or cause goods to be taken out of Zambia and related expressions are construed accordingly.

Who is and exporter?
An exporter is any person in Zambia who takes goods or causes goods to be taken out of Zambia and includes any employee or agent of such person and the owner of such goods as are exported.

When can goods be exported?
Goods can only be exported or accepted for carriage for export after such entry or documentation has been delivered to the Customs by the exporter or agent, and duly processed. Exportation can be done by Road, Rail, Air, Pipeline and Water (Sea).

What is the role of Customs in exportation of goods?
Customs Services Division of ZRA controls all exports to ensure the enforcement of national legislation concerning export prohibition and restrictions. Restricted goods can only be exported after obtaining an Export Permit from the concerned Ministries or relevant Government Departments. On the other hand, Customs collects information needed for preparation of national trade statistics.

What Customs documents do you need to facilitate commercial exportation?
Commercial consignments can only be exported after completion of Customs form CE 20. These forms are printed and sold by various printing companies.Depending on the purpose and/or source of goods to be exported, the Customs Procedure Code (CPC) to be used may be as follow:

  • E100 exportation of goods from open stock
  • E101 exportation of goods from a bonded warehouse
  • E102 exportation of goods on which a drawback of duty is required
  • E200 temporal exportation of goods for repair (General Registration Certificate (GRC) form CE 16 to be completed as well)
  • E201 temporal exportation for processing or manufacturing
  • E202 temporal exportation of goods other purposes
  • R300 re-exportation of goods imported under temporal importation.

What other documents do you need to accompany form CE20?
You need the following documents;
  1. Certificate of origin for export into member states that have ratified particular preferential trade agreements with Zambia. These certificates can be obtained from Customs International and Policy Office in Lusaka and Assistant Commissioner Customs Services Ndola. Currently, Zambia issues certificates of origin for the following trade agreements:
  • SADC
  • EU
  • GSP
  • China bilateral trade agreement
  • AGOA
  1. Permits, e.g., Quality certificate from veterinary department (meat and livestock), Phytosanitory certificate from Mt Makulu Research station (seeds, plants and fruits), Permit for gemstone and scrap metal exports from Ministries of Mines, and Timber verification certificate for timber export.
  1. Other supporting documents such as packing list, consignment note, cargo Manifest, commercial invoice, airway bill, bill of lading and any other document relevant to the export.

How can I export a small value parcel by Post or Airfreight?
Goods exported by post or airfreight with a value not exceeding 3000 fee units (i.e. 3000 X 180 per fee unit) in any one consignment or shipment are to be cleared with customs by lodgment of a duly completed form CE 13 (Declaration of small value exports by post or airfreight) by the exporter or agent. An exporter shall open, unpack, repack and close up such of the packages as the officer may require for examination and all charges incurred in the examination shall be borne by the exporter.

How can I export an accompanied baggage?
No documentation may be required for passengers accompanied baggage. However, the owner will be required to make a verbal declaration. Valuables such as laptop computers, cameras, etc, which will be brought back into Zambia, must be declared on CE 16 (GRC) on exportation. Failure may result in full duties being paid upon re-importation.

What about exportation of an unaccompanied baggage other than by Post or Airfreight?
No CE 20 is required. However, the relevant consignment note showing the destination of the goods, name, full address of consignor and consignee and ultimate destination must accompany the baggage.

How can I export samples and other items for repair?
Where goods are being exported as samples or for purposes of repair, form CE 16 (General Registration Certificate) should be completed and must be presented to customs upon re-importation. Otherwise, full duty and VAT may be collected on such goods upon re-importation.

What about temporal exportation of travelers` motor vehicles?
A duly completed entry in form CE 14 (Customs Temporal Exportation Permit for mtor vehicle) will have to be lodged with customs for purposes of clearing travelers` vehicles which are exported temporarily from Zambia. Only Zambian registered vehicles can be entered on this form. Where any other person other than the registered owner is exporting a vehicle, proof of authority to export (from the owner) must be shown to customs.

How about exportation of visitors` vehicles?
This is done on CE 5 (Customs Import Permit for visitors`? vehicles) initially processed at the time of entry at the border. It will have to be presented to Customs at the exit port for acquittal on making exit. If for any reason the vehicle cannot be exported on expiry of permit, the visitor must notify the nearest customs office for a possible extension of the permit.

How long can a processed export remain in the country?
Where export documents are processed at an inland port, the consignment will have to make exit within 3 days from the date of processing. Exports processed at border stations must make exit immediately after processing. The processing office must be notified of any delay in exportation. Otherwise, goods may be impounded for contravening the law.

* All Dates are displayed in dd/mm/yyyy